The main purpose of the developed concept is to collect - identify, register and forward - data about the problems of smallholders and family farmers, to create and track each issue on the information platform, experts matching, pairing, connecting innovations with problems for solutions, the results channeling back to the end users and also storing in the advisory knowledge base.
In the pilot phase of data collection from the field, we propose that selected advisors in each participating country regularly working with smallholders use our mobile data collecting method on smart phone, then upload it to the online platform.
The advantages of using the mobile application:
- Every user - advisor, farmer, family member or other experts helping farmers - have capable mobile device all the time available "in the pocket".
- It is very easy, user friendly and streamlined to enter an issue, we estimate that the task can be completed in about 5 minutes.
- Many of the needed data fields are automatically filled out by the device: the name of the logged in user, date and time of the entry and GPS coordinates of the location.
- Photo, video and audio recording can be added with just a few clicks using the phone's software from within the App.
- Audio recording is a practical way to 'dictate' the problem to be proceseed later with Voice to Text texhnology on the platform, to support textuatl description.
- As mentioned, App works in offline mode so that recorded data can be uploaded later if Internet is available.
- The list of submitted records can be viewed and checked in web browser.
- The web interface provides data export capability so that bulk data can be easily transfered to the platform in one step.
- The innovation providers from each piloting country – such as researcher, developer, knowledge broker, etc. - will collect and upload innovation examples suitable for smallholders and family farms, by similar taxonomy structure.
- Selected experts will match – pair and connect – problems with innovations for solutions. This can be made at the top level (full match), or sub-level (sub-problem / sub-solution, partial match).
- The problem-innovation-solution triplets will be stored and made searchable, using open data and semantic web technology.
- The concrete solution for the actual problem issue will be channeled back to the specific end user too.
- The whole process will be monitored, analyzed and fed back for improvement and policy information.